February 13th, 2015When life gives you lemons
What do you do? Make lemonade? Well, in my case I made a lemon cake!
I’ve always loved anything with lemon. Lemon flavored wafers, ice cream, cake, macaroons… yum! That little hint of sourness makes these sweeties manageable to eat in huge doses!
I made my little boy three weeks ago a Lego cake with the lemon cake as the base for his birthday. When I let him taste the scraped parts to even the top of the cake, he liked it so much that he was asking for more! His big sister Caity also liked it, that we almost ended up with no birthday cake as they were begging for more slices. In fact, big sis already requested me to make her a lemon cake for her birthday but with a different theme.
Yesterday, I thought of baking lemon cake for the kids’ afternoon snack time, and sure enough the kids devoured it like monsters! While still baking, Caity was asking me every 5 minutes if it was done. I had to take it out even when the top isn’t yet golden brown!
For all the lemon fans out there, here’s the recipe I copied from the internet and tweaked a bit.
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1. Mix together 1 cup sugar and butter.
2. Add eggs and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice; mix well.
3. Add salt, flour, and baking powder to mixture.
4. Add milk.
5. Bake at 325°F in a well greased loaf pan for 1 hour,or until golden brown.
6. Mix 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar.
7. Use a toothpick to make holes in top of cake and drizzle lemon juice and sugar mixture over the top of the cake when removed from the oven.
8. Serve warm or cool.
Total time: 1 hr, 10 mins.
Have a slice!